Thursday 15 October 2015

NYAN SHIN CAFE: BREAKFAST EPISODES



We all have that one breakfast place where our family has been going to for the past generation. One where your mom or dad went as a child now he or she is bringing you. For me, it was my dad's dad who brought him there when he was a kid, and now he brings us for as long as I can remember to it. I don't know how true that is. But I just can't imagine my dad as a child.

Anyway, used to be every Sunday morning but he got concerned about the health of eating noodles every week and well now we go there whenever we feel nostalgic, which is every two to three weeks. Which upsets me since we have been donwgraded to semi-regulars, they used to reserve a parking space just for us in front of their shop, but now we have to find a space like common folk. I mean, a parking space, A PARKING SPACE. But the lady there though still remembers our orders every time, she sees us and ask how we are and then goes into a string of our regular meal.

It's well known to a certain group of people, like me, their parents were regulars and now so are they. I mean their noodle is that good till like two set of generations would be regulars. I mean it's not even a competition to every other mee stall but I have to proclaim right now that they are the best. I know it's probably cause I'm biased, since I've been going as long as I can remember and my taste buds and brain now just compares every other noodle I ever had to it but it's so true. Ask my brother.

It's a small shop, with I think less than ten tables, so when it's full, you got to wait. They sell hakka mee, or whichever type of noodles you prefer, regular mee, kueh tiaw, bee hoon, with a choice of pork, chicken, beef (taiwanese style) and mutton. I always have pork with mee, it's making me water right now thinking about it. And then we'll have a bowl of dumplings and our drinks.





It's a family operated restaurant, the brother cooks the food, sister takes the orders, the two girls working at the counter are cousins, I can never remember which one belongs to which sibling and they hired some other people, some who I've know since I was kid, that serves the drinks or your meal.



Their noodles are handmade. The guy cooking the noodles is the one that makes it.With a certain taste to it that differentiate itself from all other mee. I can taste a certain tangy sensation on my tongue whenvever I eat it, I don't know what the ingredients are to the mee but it's delicious, and then there's the minced pork and char siu they put on top, like every other kolo mee.



 I love it when I mix the mee with the onion oil and the fried shallots, the condensation flies in front of your face and the smell just overwhelms your senses. The noodle is just tossed with the meat and the oil and shallots, and you take a huge bite with your chopsticks. And it's heaven, everything makes sense in the world and you're as happy as clown. I cannot forget the taste of it till the day I die, honestly the best noodles in the entire world.



The dumplings are seasoned well, and so is the soup. There's the onion oil and shallots in as well. I like drinking the soup, but I eat the dumplings with the noodle together.

There's always going to be a queue because it's not a very big shop, but I think it's worth the wait. It's not a very big wait anyways, and another thing, the noodles run out pretty fast and they close like at 11.30 am, also because of it's location on carpenter street, finding parking space is a hassle. But like I said, it's worth it.

I highly recommend this place, if you don't think it's the best mee ever, you suck. I'm joking, it depends on your taste. To each, your own. Regardless, there's no harm in trying it out right? They have a page on tripadvisor, which gives out the location. The link below:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g298309-d3562423-Reviews-Nyan_Shin_Cafe-Kuching_Sarawak.html

Nyan Shin Cafe
Carpenter Street (Blacksmith Road)
Kuching, Sarawak.

Opening hours:
6.30am to 11.30am (or until sold out)
Opens everyday.


This is Sharon signing off this week's episode on The Makan Post. Stay tuned for more.

-


The Makan Post brings to you weekly food adventures, so be sure to catch us every week for new episodes and don't forget to subscribe to us. Cheers.


themakanpost@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment