Sunday 26 June 2016

Seafood Episodes- The Venue

My dad is really into seafood. He knows, to my knowledge, never been wrong about anything with marine biology. So he takes his seafood related dishes seriously. So my family has been going to this nearby restaurant for a long time now, to the point where our orders are memorised by the head waitress. She knows how my dad wants the fish he got cooked, and what we like. 

I’ve been missing the food of The Venue for a long while now. I believe it is called teo chew seafood. We ordered as usual the midin, stir fried with garlic. We also had oysters cooked with oyster pancakes. There’s a lot of ways oysters are usually cooked in chinese cuisine, one of my favourites are usually with egg or they make a sort of pancake with the oysters. 

The oyster with pancake, which means it is made our of flour with the oyster, and then fried. It comes out usually crispy and served with soy sauce and pepper. The pancake is dipped in the sauce and we will eat immediately while it is hot and crispy. Any longer and it will not be. 

The next will be the midin. It has always been my favourite dish in teo chew seafood. It is just stir fried with garlic and seasoned well. Midin is mostly found near the seaside, and sold on the road side on wooden vendors. It is very common in this region of Malaysia and cooked frequently as a delicacy with other type of sauces. 

My father had ordered steam fish and deep fried fish. Both of them delicious. They had used a sort of sauce with it, I think fish sauce and steamed the fish in it. I also believe they fried shallots and garlic, earning a sweet to the savoury dish. The deep fried fish, with the fish mixed with a batter and fried till crisp. The inside is soft and not all overcooked., but the meat delicious when dipped with dark soya sauce. 

Most of the dishes are simple, but that usually is the best in this sort of food. The fish, the vegetable, the seafood is often the star of the dish. It is never overcomplicated or left with an over powering taste. 


The Venue is a family favourite among the locals in the area. It is often packed with people in the weekends. I really recommend this place but I think that wouldn’t be necessary as it is famous enough with it’s regulars. 

 Address:RH Plaza Commercial Centre, Off Jalan Airport, Lorong Lapangan Terbang 1, Kuching, 93250, Kuching, Sarawak, 93250, Malaysia

This is Sharon signing off this week's post. Stay tune every week for more.




No comments:

Post a Comment