Saturday 28 November 2015

MANCHESTER FOOD HUNTING- SEOUL KIMCHI: KOREAN FOOD (UK)

It's been raining for awhile in Manchester, since it's the start of the winter season. Malaysia's weather is usually tropical so I'm used to the rain, but it's mixed in with the cold air, making it so much worse. So I love how conveniently located this particular restaurant was. It's like a ten minute walk from my dorm to Seoul Kimchi, and not to mention the food is really good.

 They sell mostly Korean dishes, as well as Japanese ones. It was really good comparatively to other Korean places. From what I've been told, it is the most authentic and delicious Korean meal to every other Korean restaurant in Manchester. But it has westernised a bit, seeing as some ingredients can't be found here in the UK.

We ordered a set meal, consisting of Jeon (korean pancake), salad, korean miso soup, galbi (a beef stew) and matcha ice-cream. As well as being very well represented, there were also some side dishes. Traditionally served with a meal, like kimchi, kongjorim (marinated soy beans), marinated sliced potatoes( I'm not sure what the name is).

The korean pancake traditionally consists of sliced vegetables mixed in a savory batter and fried like a pancake. It's really delicious if done well, but if the batter is too thick, it would have this doughy consistency which isn't very good. Usual good pancakes will be crispy and not too oily. Korean pancakes would have kimchi usually in them, it is optional though. But others would have sliced vegetables, like in our's, spring onions, some capsicums, both red and green. It was seasoned well, and was crispy. The salad was just a typical leafy salad, with lettuce, rocket, and some sprouts, and capsicum, with a light caesar dressing.



Galbi was a braised beef stew, with carrots and onions and capsicum. It was a nice consistency of sweet and salty, delicious to the taste, with the meat so easily broken apart and therefore melting in my mouth. All the vegetables were boiled properly and not hard at all, and you'll be able to bite easily into it.




The miso soup, something I don't usually like drinking, is as salty as I remember. I have a biased view towards it but it taste like a normal miso soup, though with cabbages, and tofu in it. Miso soup has soy bean base and I don't know why I dislike the taste so much but my friend drank it finish so I assume it was quite good.



 I have to say, matcha ice cream is my Achilles heel. Actually anything matcha just have me sinking on my knees. I absolutely adore eating match base products, and this was delicious. There wasn't any over powering taste of matcha, or under powering that you can't even taste the matcha. This was jsut right. I love the dusty green colour of it, and I'll always be able to eat, even in a cold weather.

This place is a must visit in Manchester if you're looking for good korean food. But I have to say, that the food there is quite expensive, I assume because of the ingredients they have to procure from Korea. The price range well above six to eight pounds for a meal. That's like forty something ringgit or more, including extra dishes. 

They have a facebook page, where you can come and check it out : https://www.facebook.com/seoulkimchimanchester/

Address:
  • 275 Upper Brook Street, M13 0HR Manchester, United Kingdom
  • The opening times : 
    Mon-Sat:
    11:30 am-3:30 pm
    5:00 pm-9:30 pm
    Sun:
    12:00 pm-8:00 pm
THIS IS SHARON. SIGNING OFF FROM THIS WEEK'S BLOG. LOG IN NEXT WEEK FOR JOLYNN'S TURN. 



The Makan Post brings to you weekly food adventures, so be sure to catch us every week for new episodes and dont forget to subscribe to us. Just click on the Follow button below. Also, check out our instagram page @themakanpost. Cheers.


themakanpost@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment